Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Printmaking Like the Masters

Original drawing on the right with zinc plate on the left
Etch bath
Etched zinc plate. Non-toxic. Botanical drawing.
Etched plate ready for ink and printing



Final non-toxic Botanical Etched print
Final print

I've always wanted to try etching and I finally had a chance recently when I took a short half-day class of  non-toxic etching with A & C studios. It's a beautiful studio space and I couldn't recommend our instructor, Cathrine enough. 

The basic steps are as such...

First you coat the zinc plate with a thin clear layer of floor finish which dries and just leaves a very thin coating to scratch through. Then you transfer your drawing onto the zinc plate and scratch into the plate with a pointed etching tool. The tools have the finest tip on them. Being able to get that tiny level of detail lived up to my wildest dreams!

When you're done scratching, the plate goes into the etch bath for 12 minutes, which ended up being a bit too long for my drawing. You can see at the top of the plate and the print that it's too textured. It's a lovely effect if that's what you're into.

The plate is covered with ink and run through the press, onto handmade cotton paper (at least, that's what we printed on) that is damp.

Of course, once you see the print, you can go back and keep going with more etching or more scratching or what have you.

I think the biggest thing I learned was exactly how much variation and technique there is to this process. And how wildly the technique can vary and that each print is truly unique. 

I look forward to more of this.