Sunday, December 16, 2012

Road Trip


oatmeal and hot tea at gas stop

prosciutto and smoked mozzarella on road trip


sliced salami

road sign to san diego or tuscon


I wanted to share some pictures from our road trip from Austin to San Diego. We stopped in Las Cruces, NM and then Tuscon, AZ which broke the trip up into 3 days of driving -- or in my case, riding. The weather along the way was sunny and pleasant, making early December a great time, in my opinion, for a drive southwest.

The 80MPH speed limit in Texas sure made quick work of the longest stretch. The sunset over the mountains in El Paso was unforgettable. Tuscon is lovely and the saguaro cactus are such a sight to see, scattered across the landscape. I would love to go back there and spend some more time. 

The border stops between states was not something I had ever seen before, as a traveler of the east coast. It's serious business with lots of lights, cameras, and men in uniform. My orange from the hotel in Tuscon was confiscated by the authorities coming into California.

Any time you travel, food can be a challenge with controlling what you want to eat. As you can see, we brought along gourmet meats, snacks and drinks in our little cooler. And after a few stops, we quickly learned which chain convenient stores had the best set up --- like a hot tea and oatmeal station....which I didn't take part in but was happy to see!

All in all... I would say 'yes' to future road trips but hope I won't be moving again soon.