These are some of the things I liked and wanted to remember from our visit to the Houston Museum of Fine Arts last weekend.
Which brings me to something I wanted to discuss: How to visit an art museum.
These are my 6 tips:
1. Remember that you don't have the time or the attention span to look at everything. And frankly, you won't want to look at everything. For example, the boring stuff.
2. Spend time with the pieces that interest you or that you're drawn to. This way, you will get more of your visit. You'll take away more.
3. Take breaks. Your brain will get tired and your legs. Stop at the cafe and have a coffee or snack.
4. Take pictures in the galleries that will allow it. It's amazing within a big museum, how many areas there are. Some will allow photography and some won't. The quality of your photo may not be great (or often, better than you thought), but your memory of looking at the piece will fill in the blanks.
5. It doesn't matter what show you see. You will inevitably like all of it, none of it, some of it. Either way, time well spent. Because, it's all relative and subjective. And over time, you will get to know what you like and don't like (if you don't already). Also, you'll find your taste changes over time.
6. Don't forget your glasses if you need them to see up close. Ha... funny but true.